View More

Majestic Theatre
 

The Majestic Theatre opened in 1903, located at 5 Columbus Circle. It was designed by architect John H. Duncan and backed by E.D. Stair and A.L. Wilbur. The Majestic Theatre presented the first musical version of The Wizard of Oz, starring Fred Stone and Dave Montgomery, and later presented Victor Herbert’s Babes in Toyland. In 1914, Mrs. Patrick Campbell starred in the U.S. premiere of Shaw’s Pygmalion. Other legendary performers, including Helen Hayes, Edward G. Robinson, and George Arliss, graced the Majestic’s stage. In later years, the Majestic Theatre was renamed Minsky’s Park Music Hall, the Cosmopolitan, and the International. After several years of use as an NBC studio, the theatre was demolished in June 1954, along with several other Columbus Circle theatres, to make way for the city’s new convention center.