The Selwyn Brothers, Edgar and Arch, produced the Selwyn Theatre in 1918. Located at 229 W. 42nd Street, it was designed by architect George Keister. In 1921, Leslie Carter joined John Drew in Somerset Maugham’s The Circle. The Selwyn housed George S. Kaufman and Edna Ferber’s The Royal Family in 1927. Following the Depression, the Selwyn functioned as a grindhouse that remained through the 1990s. The Selwyn Theatre was fully restored in 2000 by the Roundabout Theatre Company and renamed the American Airlines Theatre.