The Actor's Express Inc.
Atlanta, GA 30318
Job Title: Technical Director
Reporting: This position reports to the Production Manager (PM)
Working Hours: 40 hours a week
Some nights and weekends required
Required attendance at tech rehearsals, load-ins and opening nights
Actor’s Express offers full employer paid health coverage and flexible paid time off / comp time.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
Technical Direction / Carpentry:
- Act as the primary carpenter on all AE productions working on and leading projects
- Create technical drawings for execution of designs based on set drawings, models, and renderings.
- Execute design / build drawings as designed
- Lead scenic construction and load-in for all productions and manage interns/crew in all build sessions
- Help with construction of properties, structures for lighting, and other items as needed by other departments
- Plan and lead strike of all productions and move seating risers into new configuration for each show as applicable.
- Maintain knowledge of current theatre trends and technology to realize set designs.
- Facilities and Equipment Maintenance: Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; arranges for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; performs preventive maintenance on equipment. Performs maintenance and repairs on theatre equipment and facilities including, but not limited to, rigging systems, scene shop machinery and tools, and lighting and sound equipment.
- Upkeep theatre facility maintaining front of house and backstage areas
- Participate in facilities maintenance, including backstage, offices, shop and public areas.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the backstage area.
- Maintain a safe environment for patrons and workers.
- Intern and Staff Oversight: Train interns in technical skills
- Supervise intern crews
- Safety Management: Keep up to date knowledge of health & safety law and excellent working practice, including experience of producing detailed risk assessments
- Knowledge of first aid, train and prepare for emergency situations that involve common shop accidents
- Communicates and enforces City of Atlanta fire code standards and all AE safety standards.
- Required Skills and Experience: In depth problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Experience with small, tight budgets and bringing projects in within budget.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a producing theatre or equivalent education.
- Proven ability as a carpenter, welder, and rigger
- Proficient in scenic drafting, (Auto-Cad / Vectorworks)
- Ability to effectively communicate with creative team, staff and interns
- Secondary Skills: Theatrical Design
- Scenic Painting
- Sound and Props Management
Actor's Express is a fully vaccinated workplace all staff must be vaccinated before begining work.
Actor’s Express is committed to fighting systemic racism and white supremacy. Further, AE is committed to reflecting, promoting and defending diversity in all its forms at every layer of the organization. These include the following: Programming, Artists, Intern Company, Staff/AE Workplace, Board of Directors, and Audiences.
January 10, 2022 -
APPLY BY EMAILSend e-mail to 0000017d-4e75-dd37-a1ff-cf7f74170000...
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.