The Playwrights Realm, a not-for-profit theatre company devoted to supporting early-career playwrights along the journey of playwriting, seeks a part-time Marketing Assistant. The Marketing Assistant will support The Realm's Marketing Department activities, including institutional social media, programming-related marketing, and occasional ticketing/Box Office duties. This position reports to the Marketing Manager.
The Marketing Assistant will work an average of 15-20 hours per week, with hours flexing up and down depending on programming. Generally, work will happen during regular office hours (Mon-Fri, 10AM-6PM), but weekly schedule will be determined in conversation with the Marketing Manager.
The Playwrights Realm staff is currently working in a hybrid model (remote/in office). This position is mostly remote, with occasion onsite work at the NYC office as needed, especially during in person events. For tax purposes, the Marketing Assistant needs to be a resident of New York or New Jersey.
The ideal start date is the week January 24th, 2022, but this can be negotiated.
- The Marketing Assistant’s responsibilities include: Social Media:
- Creating a weekly content plan (with flexibility for spontaneous content) that takes into account our brand voice, our programming, the differences between each network (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram), and larger conversations in our industry.
- Weekly posting in all our networks, creating copy and graphics/pictures to be approved by the Marketing Manager;
- Interaction with followers (when contacted), fans, and other relevant profiles.
- Liaising with marketing departments at partner institutions for social media exchanges.
- Creating a weekly performance report for the previous week’s content, with insights as to what our audiences responded most to and how we can expand those conversations.
- Mailing and Website:
- Updating, editing, and monitoring The Realm’s digital and physical mailing lists as needed.
- Creating eblast campaigns or assisting the Marketing Manager with eblast campaigns as needed.
- Liaising with marketing departments at partner institutions for eblast exchanges.
- Assisting the Marketing Manager with regular upkeep of The Realm’s website by creating, editing, or archiving content on the site.
- Programming-related Marketing:
- Assisting the Marketing Manager in the creation of a marketing plan for our Community Programming (panels, classes, and workshops), INK'D Reading Festival, and other programming, by researching marketing cases, analyzing collected data, and other assistance as needed;
- Creating collateral such as images and banners for social media, advertising, and email, video cards for trailers and interviews, and other simple collateral;
- Assisting the Marketing Manager in the creation and managing of Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and other online advertising campaigns;
- Assisting the Marketing Manager in the analysis of web access and sales/RSVPs via Google Analytics, including the tagging of related websites via Google Tags;
- Assisting the Marketing Manager in the creation and execution of email campaigns, both organic (Mailchimp) and paid;
- Proofing all marketing materials before publication for grammar and correct name spellings;
- Assisting the Marketing Manager with closeout processes – saving all relevant materials to the server, deactivating all digital content related to the programming, taking down all physical collateral, uploading patron lists to Mailchimp, and collecting all survey and ticketing data.
- Ticketing/Box Office support*:
- Assisting the Marketing Manager with the creation and management of online events, tracking RSVPs and creating strategies to increase presence in less-attended events.
- Assisting the Marketing Manager in the creation of the OvationTix events for in-person programming (INK'D Festival and others) as needed;
- Assisting the Marketing Manager in the tracking of sales/RSVPs for in-person events and the status of each performance, creating strategies to increase presence in less attended performances;
- Selling tickets via OvationTix QuickSell+ to patrons who call the office, if needed.
- Acting as a box office rep for check in of patrons for in-person programming, and coordinating with the house manager to keep track of house status and letting in patrons in the waiting line.
*Please note that while we are not planning to return to full production until the 2022-23 season at the earliest, there will be in-person readings and other in-person events for which the Marketing assistant will be expected to provide in-person support.
Other assisting work (research, data entry, etcetera) might be requested by both Marketing and other departments in the company; this will always be discussed in advance and reflected in adjustments to the Assistant’s weekly schedule.
- The Marketing Assistant is an entry-level position which requires creativity, a self-starter/take-ownership attitude, and attention to detail. The candidate must have:
- Facility with the major social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram);
- A passion for theater and new plays;
- Alignment with the The Realm's mission and values
- Any other skills, including those listed below, can be taught. While many strong candidates may come from a theatre marketing background, candidates with core competencies that fit this job and come from other areas will be given strong consideration as well. The Realm is committed to mentoring employees and this position is one where we’d like to help the candidate grow both inside and outside the company. Optional skills:
- Experience using Squarespace, Mailchimp, Hootsuite and/or Survey Monkey.
- Knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, and, PowerPoint) or Google suite (Docs, Sheets, and Slides);
- Intermediate knowledge of the Adobe Creative suite (Photoshop, InDesign, and, less important, Illustrator);
- Knowledge of the Google Analytics platform;
- Knowledge of the OvationTix platform;
- Knowledge of the Google Ads platform;
- Experience in website tagging and knowledge of the Google Tags platform;
In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, The Realm will require proof of vaccination against COVID-19 for all office staff.
The Realm staff works to embody the values of anti-racism and anti-oppression, and the Marketing Assistant should contribute to this work through a) participation in The Realm’s monthly values discussions, which invite self-examination and challenging of established paradigms; b) engagement with the institution’s Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression plan as it affects the whole company and the Marketing department specifically, and c) by cultivating a space in which artists and staff can engage in difficult conversations (while respecting each other’s boundaries) and work to make The Realm a welcoming place for all.
Compensation for this position will be $17/hr.
Part-time employees are eligible for paid sick days per New York State guidelines; this season through August 2022, The Realm is also offering paid time off for part time employees on days the office is closed for holidays.
Please email a resume or list of relevant experiences to email@example.com with the subject line “Marketing Assistant”. If you want, you can also send a letter/video/audio telling us more about yourself (either as an attachment or included in the body of your email); this is optional and does not have to be tailored to this specific position.
Applications will be accepted through Friday, December 17th, 2021; interviews will happen on a rolling basis, so it’s best to apply early! The position will start the week of January 24th, 2022; the exact date can be negotiated.
For more information about Playwrights Realm, visit our website: www.playwrightsrealm.org.
January 24, 2022 -