Hermitage Artist Retreat
Englewood, NY 34223
Hermitage Marketing and Communications Manager
The Hermitage Artist Retreat is a multi-disciplinary artist retreat uniquely serving artists, the creative process, and the community. Located on a nine-acre beachside campus in Manasota Key at the southern tip of Sarasota County, Florida, we provide diverse and accomplished artists with multi-week residencies to create new works of art, theater, music, literature, and more. Our Hermitage Fellows have described their experiences as “life-changing” and “transformative,” regularly noting that they accomplish more in two weeks at the Hermitage than they otherwise might do in two years. The award-winning original works created at the Hermitage are presented in renowned concert halls, theaters, museums, and galleries throughout our region and across the globe. In addition to the unique and invaluable experience we provide to artists, we take pride in our complementary missions of historic preservation, ecological restoration, and community outreach and engagement.
Artistic Director and CEO: Andy Sandberg
Reporting to the Artistic Director/CEO, the Marketing and Communications Manager will coordinate, develop, and implement marketing policies, programs, timelines, and campaigns. This is a newly created position, and this individual will be responsible for managing and expanding all media advertising and press relations. This includes the Hermitage’s 50-60 annual programs and events, artist-media relations, and the overall branding of the organization. Additionally, this position will help to promote the organization’s mission and identity through the thoughtful and detail-oriented creation and placement of print materials, news stories, website notices, social media, news releases, and other assets. The Hermitage offers a broad array of programs and a group of diverse artists with a local, regional and national brand. This role will effectively market and communicate news and information – through a wide array of platforms including email, print and media, television and radio, social media and other digital mediums – to new, existing, and diverse audiences to maximize attendance at events and engagement with the Hermitage brand and mission.
· Oversee and produce a broad array of digital, print, and email promotional, marketing, and communication materials for the organization.
· Build, maintain, and engage an active media list for regular press communications surrounding year-round weekly events.
· Draft, edit, and proof press releases on behalf of the organization, in line with the voice and vision of the organization’s Artistic Director and CEO.
· Manage the timeline of marketing and communication strategies, ranging from eblasts and social media postings to print mailings and distribution of materials.
· Manage and implement the media and advertising plan for the organization, including any media partnerships and sponsorships, as well as paid print and digital media.
· Ensure that all materials present a clear, unified, and positive image for the mission, organization, and brand, in line with the vision of the Hermitage’s leadership.
· Plan, prepare, and place original promotional content such as articles, news and press releases, email, website and social media posts, and other updates on behalf of the organization.
· Arrange for photography and/or press coverage for programs and events, and oversee relationships with any freelance marketing-related contractors.
· Create and coordinate multimedia packages and resources; manage, research, and organize all existing and future photo and video materials, logos and branding, press clippings, and other promotional assets.
· Manage contracted individuals and resources for graphic design, public relations, and website, as needed.
· Represent the organization in a variety of settings and events, always promoting the company in the best possible way.
· Maintain positive relationships with media outlets, institutional partners, and other constituencies.
· Attend and participate in Hermitage programs, special events, and other ‘all hands on deck’ activities.
· Perform other related duties, as assigned.
· A passion for the Hermitage’s mission and the organization’s commitment to supporting artists, the creative process, and the community.
· Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication skills; strong editing and proofreading skills are essential.
· The ability to represent the interests of the Hermitage and the voice of its Artistic Director/CEO accurately to artists, partners and collaborators, and other constituents.
· Ability to handle sensitive information with diplomacy and discretion.
· Facility in managing multiple priorities and time-sensitive deadlines.
· Organizational and project-planning skills are paramount, as is the management and coordination of multiple institutional partnerships.
· A sense of ambition, initiative, and ‘hustle.’
· Appreciation and understanding of the arts.
· The ability to take accurate notes, summarize and retain information, and seamlessly translate them into future communications.
· Flexible to work evenings and weekends, as needed, in support of artist programs and donor events on campus and throughout our region.
· Proficiency with management software, including database, communication, and event management programs.
· Proficiency with all Microsoft Office, Google G-Suite applications, Zoom and other relevant applications.
· Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent, or higher.
· Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
The Hermitage Artist Retreat is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, artists, guests, and members of our community.
Location of position: The Hermitage Artist Retreat on Manasota Key (Sarasota County, Florida)
Please note: this is a full-time position, and non-local candidates would be expected to relocate.
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit:
• Cover Letter
• Three References
Submit Applications to: Jobs@HermitageArtistRetreat.org
Application Deadline: We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible. Interested candidates are asked to submit their materials promptly.
June 1, 2021 -