Ogunquit, ME 03907
Position | Director of Development
For 89 years, Ogunquit Playhouse has been the jewel of Maine's southern seacoast, delivering world-class theatre, creating memories for generations and pursuing our mission to build upon a legacy of leadership in American theatre by producing world-class performances, educating people of all ages, cultivating new works for the stage, and preserving an iconic and historic playhouse for future generations.
Position summary: The successful candidate will be a dynamic, visionary individual with exceptional interpersonal skills and a genuine commitment to the mission of Ogunquit Playhouse. It is important that the candidate have an authentic interest in people from all backgrounds, a talent for relationship development and a creative thought process. A proven track record of cultivating prospects, soliciting major donors and securing large gifts is a must, as is experience partnering effectively with leadership (staff and Board) and colleagues. Superior written and verbal communications skills and the ability to synthesize information into articulate and compelling cases for support is required. The Director of Development must be focused, organized, analytical, and work with a strong sense of urgency evidenced by great follow-up and follow-through. Development operations and financial management experience as well as a clear understanding of the role played by contributed income in performing arts organizations are essential. Experience supervising team members, managing committees, collaboration with outside consultants, and measuring results against clear goals with identifiable metrics for measurement are key. The successful candidate will have a proven track record leading Annual Gift Programming, Capital Campaigns and Legacy Gift Giving. This position is a full-time, exempt position, reporting to the Managing Director.
· Oversee the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and recognition of an annual minimum contributed income target of $1.5 million.
· Manage, mentor, and maintain a team of 3-4 fundraising team members.
· Provide overall development strategy and leadership, with a particular emphasis on developing and executing the organization’s short- and long-term fundraising strategies for high-level individual giving.
· Build on development strategy planning by refining and executing the annual plan for fundraising, including identification of growth areas, measures of success, return on investment, and supporting metrics.
· Increase support from individuals, including major gifts, in support of Ogunquit Playhouse’s long-term sustainability and growth strategy.
· Drive and execute identification, research, cultivation, and stewardship work to attract new donors, deepen relationships with existing donors and ensure a rewarding donor experience to increase retention and annual giving.
· Become a high-level expert in Ogunquit Playhouse’s programming and be able to speak knowledgeably, passionately, and compellingly about organizational impact, current success stories, and programmatic initiatives.
· Collaborate with the Managing Director and Executive Artistic Director to ensure that funding is aligned with program needs and activities
· Work efficiently, coordinate and lead efforts across roles, and strategically build on organizational strengths to improve return on investment, conversion of event attendees to donors, and donor retention with an overall focus on outcomes.
· Manage development budget and revenue forecasting and report results in a timely manner
· Work with development and finance team members to maximize the capabilities of the existing CRM system (Tessitura) and other donor resources to manage the entire donation process and produce reports that inform development efforts.
· Oversee events, managing expenses and making use of outside event consultants, if cost-effective in maximizing staff time and return on investment.
· Oversee grants, including monthly pipeline reviews and whole organization participation in grant preparation and reporting that strengthens grant capacity. Assist in the supervision and support of the Grant and Research Associate to maximize efficiencies, complement revenue growth strategy and conduct donor research.
· Oversee consultants and vendors working in development areas, ensuring that all fundraising and communication initiatives are strategic, effective, and focused on outcomes.
· Collaborate with the Director of Marketing and Communications to create clear and compelling communications to funders, donors, and community members.
· Contribute to all public relations and marketing efforts by working closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications.
Capital Campaign Responsibilities
· Working closely with the Campaign Consulting firm, Associate Campaign Manager, Executive Artistic Director and Managing Director, the Director of Development will devise and implement a multifaceted capital campaign that will support Ogunquit Playhouse’s plans for executing its strategic plan with the ultimate goal of a renovation and revitalization of the Playhouse and improving the infrastructure to support the enhancements.
· Oversee the establishment of the campaign’s solicitation priorities, management of prospect lists, prospect research, and prospect tracking.
· Oversee the development and execution of cultivation plans and strategies including meeting requests, and metrics to monitor project success in collaboration with the campaign team and senior leadership.
· Collaborate with the Director of Marketing and Communications and outside marketing firm to provide campaign collateral and communications, specifically materials for campaign solicitation including print, web and social media platforms.
· Identify members, lead, and provide support to volunteers on the Capital Campaign Committee.
· Provide guidance, prepare, and coach the Managing Director and Executive Artistic Director and Campaign team when appropriate and be present during solicitations when required.
· Work collaboratively across all Development teams (individuals, foundations, special events) to cultivate identified individuals and institutional prospects in order to complete solicitations and/or prepare and submit grant proposals with the Grants and Research teams.
· Devise and direct cultivation and recognition events ensuring donor acknowledgement and naming opportunities, stewardship and, as appropriate, public recognition.
· Work with the Development team to manage all campaign gift correspondence in the database, including timely acknowledgments, pledge payment reminders, pledge agreements, and preparing and submitting reports to donors and those required by granting foundations and institutions.
· Manage Capital Campaign budget tracking and reporting both expenditures and contributed revenue.
· Oversee the maintenance of the campaign calendar, ensuring that it is coordinated with existing program and development calendars.
· Prepare presentations for the leadership team and Board of Directors evaluating progress toward campaign goals.
· Over time, build and manage a portfolio of donors and prospects with the capacity, interest, and inclination to make substantial gifts.
· Passion for our mission and clearly articulated personal philosophy regarding the importance of arts and culture in our community
· 10+ years of development experience, including at the executive level, to earn the respect and support of various constituencies including the Board, team, donors, community leaders, and partners
· Major Capital Campaign experience is a must
· Experience in creating annual fundraising plans and development calendars
· Proven record of measurable accomplishments in fundraising, particularly in the areas of individual major gifts, and corporate giving, with a working knowledge of all other aspects of fundraising, such as annual campaigns, special events, foundation support, and local, state, and federal funding opportunities
· Ability to think creatively and identify new opportunities
· Demonstrated success in securing individual and corporate donors and stewarding existing relationships
· Exceptional interpersonal, networking, written, presentation and verbal communication skills
· Eagerness to learn, grow, and stay on top of trends in philanthropy
· Ability to collaborate on the creation of persuasive marketing materials and collateral
· Exceptional time, task, project management and organizational skills focused on both short-term and long-term strategy with an attention to detail
· Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and effectively without close supervision
· Willingness to function effectively as a member of an Executive Leadership Team and to work across all levels of the organization to be considered a high-achieving team member for the organization
· Strong understanding and practice of cultural humility and respect for others
· Proficiency in Tessitura, other CRM, or fundraising software and/or systems
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life/professional experience
· Certified Fund Raising Executive classification would be well-received
This position is full-time, based in Ogunquit, ME with an annual salary of $100-$150K, commensurate with experience. OPF offers a competitive benefits package and a flexible, collaborative environment as part of the overall compensation package.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position to email@example.com. Please state where you learned of this opportunity.
In an accompanying cover letter, the applicant should answer the following questions:
· As with many mid-sized cultural organizations, our leaders must strike a balance between being a visionary thinker, leader and being a “doer.” What demonstrated characteristics and skills do you have to achieve this balance?
· Do you prefer an organizational structure where you have a high degree of autonomy or do you prefer a collaborative decision-making environment?
Ogunquit Playhouse encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. We celebrate the diversity of our world and our community, and we seek to build a team that reflects that strength. Ogunquit Playhouse is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to promoting the growth of a diverse and inclusive workplace.
September 24, 2021 -
Up to $150,000 Annually