Second Stage Theater
New York, NY 10036
Second Stage Theater seeks a self-directed and goal driven individual to serve as a core member of the Development Department. The Deputy Director of Development oversees all fundraising efforts for individual donors and works collaboratively with Institutional Partnerships and Special Events.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience as a front-line fundraiser, will have demonstrated success with major gift program creation, will have proven success with major gift solicitations, and strong managerial and communication skills.
· Work collaboratively with Institutional Partnerships to research new high-level grant opportunities, and strategize proposal development for foundation, government, and corporate partners
· Work closely with the Executive Director and Director of Development in instituting long-term planning for unearned revenue generation
· Responsible for meeting Second Stage’s contributed income goals for overall Individual Giving
· Working with 2ST’s Development Committee, create a vibrant and mission- driven Major Gift Program
· Identify and encourage current Champions to join the Program.
· Actively cultivate new individual donors
· Work with Special Events to create an exciting and unique set of high-end experiences to encourage donors to deepen their relationship with 2ST—these will likely be virtual until Q1 2021
· In collaboration with the Director of Development, manage, mentor, and motivate the Development team
· Oversee Individual Giving reports, tracking systems, schedules, and collateral
· Identify new donors in all categories, devise cultivation and solicitation strategies, and build and maintain funder relationships
· Coordinate research for new individual and event donors as well as increased support from current donors
· Represent the Development Department at fundraising and cultivation events
· Bachelor of Arts minimum, and 10 plus years of experience preferred, with increasing responsibility in development, preferably in a theater or other cultural or educational organization
· Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to edit clear and compelling proposals
· A proven ability to develop and execute winning fundraising strategies and techniques, particularly in major gifts or capital campaigns
· Have the desire to “get out of the office” and build donor relationships, exhibiting follow-through on goals and opportunities
· A positive attitude, concern for other people and community, presence, self-confidence, and the ability to listen
· Knowledge of CRM software required, a knowledge of Tessitura strongly preferred
· An ardent theatergoer preferred, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about Second Stage’s history and mission
About Second Stage
Second Stage Theater produces work entirely by 21st century American playwrights both on and off Broadway. Dedicated to adventurous contemporary plays and musicals, bold new interpretations, and unique theatrical experiences, the work at Second Stage reflects diversity and inclusiveness. Through the discovery of emerging talent and the commissioning of new work, Second Stage nurtures future generations of theater artists. Second Stage welcomes a theatergoing audience of all backgrounds.
Compensation in the low $100,000s. Generous benefit package with health/dental insurance, paid time off, Summer Fridays, and 401(k) included.
Please email cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com with ‘Deputy Director of Development – FULL NAME’ in the subject line. No phone calls.
Second Stage Theater prohibits unlawful discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, veteran status, or any other characteristic to the extent protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy against harassment or discrimination extends to coworkers, contractors, vendors, and audiences.