Islip, NY 11751
Dance Connection is seeking an experienced assistant stage manager for our 2021 Production. Our performing arts school has an emphasis on excellence and love for the art of dance with a large student base of dancers aged 2 to adult, serving dancers throughout both Suffolk and Nassau counties. We pride ourselves on fostering a sense of teamwork among our staff, operating with a professionally managed office and administrative staff, and offering many opportunities for growth to all of the artists that work for us. Our 2021 production will be held outdoors on a built touring stage.
- Assist Stage Manager and other ASM with all stage management tasks and paperwork.
- Assist with daily setup and strike of the stage area and equipment along with rest of production staff (setting up pipe & drape, tarping stage, removing speakers, etc.).
- Perform a safety check at the end of load-in, prior to rehearsals beginning and inform the company Production Manager and Technical Director of any safety concerns to be addressed.
- Check deck and backstage areas daily for any safety concerns before dancers take the stage. - Sweep the deck as needed during rehearsal week and performances.
- Assist with moving scenery/props on the deck as necessary during rehearsals when crew may be limited.
- Along with other ASM, run the deck and supervise two volunteer crew chiefs, and a volunteer stage crew.
- Act as a representative of the company assisting with questions and directing any unknown questions to company staff.
- Assist with the creation of backstage run sheets for volunteer crew.
- Collaborate with Artistic Director, studio management, choreographers, dance teachers, assistant teachers, house management, venue technical/custodial staff, volunteers, and Private Security as necessary.
- Enact/manage emergency protocol in the event of an emergency.
- Be prepared to take over another SM track or call the show if needed due to quarantine, sickness, or other absence.
- Other duties as assigned by Production Manager.
- Unmatched organizational and problem solving skills.
- A firm, kind, polite, respectful, encouraging, and calm manner.
- Patience, stamina, a sense of humor, and the ability to remain calm is a must.
- 3-5 years of experience as a stage manager and crew chief.
- Experience in leading inexperienced, non-union, and volunteer crews.
- Experience in working with children and young people.
- Training/Certification in CPR, AED, and/or first aid is a plus, but not required.
- A high school diploma or GED is required.
- A B.A. or B.F.A. in Theatre or a Technical Theatre is a plus, but not required.
Availability/Schedule: Load In: Monday, June 7 (arrive early to meet SM team and get acquainted with space)
Rehearsals: Monday, June 7 thru Thursday, June 10 4:00-10:00PM
Performances: Friday June 11 5PM + 8PM, Saturday June 12 5PM + 8PM, Sunday June 13 11AM, 5PM, + 8PM Rain Dates: Monday, June 14 thru Wednesday, June 16 as needed Salary: $675.
Supervisor: Assistant Stage Manager reports to the Stage Manager and Production Manager. Interested applicants:
Please email a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com.
June 7, 2021 - June 16, 2021