New York, NY
Playwrights Horizons is a writer's theater dedicated to the support and development of contemporary U.S. playwrights, composers and lyricists, and to the production of their new work.
Director of Development
Playwrights Horizons, an award winning off-Broadway theater located in the heart of Manhattan, seeks a candidate who will be an integral member of an active development office. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Annual Fund Manager will focus on annual fund activities as part of a larger departmental team raising funds through a variety of different efforts.
● In coordination with development and marketing colleagues, develop, execute and evaluate Annual Fund plan, including digital and direct mail renewal and acquisition campaigns and monthly giving
● Lead campaign analysis including preparing of reports for colleagues, business office and board
● Develop new methods of donor cultivation and outreach to help fulfill Playwrights Horizons mission and vision
● Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward a personal portfolio of prospects with the potential to give under $5,000 annually for both donor programs (Patron, Gen PH) and annual fund
● Work to identify annual fund donors with additional capacity and work with the Major Gifts Officer and Development Director to move these donors through cultivation pipeline
● Oversee the strategy and planning of small departmental events
● Management of giving program benefits
● Serve as Department lead on coordination of show correspondence and communications calendar
● Serve as backup on donor ticketing needs
● Able to work some nights and very occasionally on weekends
● Three to five years of annual fund work, including front line solicitations and fundraising strategy development or other relevant experience
● Demonstrated success soliciting gifts, as well as cultivating and stewarding strong relationships with donors and prospects.
● Self-starter with a strong work ethic and a fine-tuned attention to detail who can work independently and with a team and quickly adapt as necessary multiple projects in a fast-paced setting.
● Understanding of Playwrights Horizons’ mission, values and the ability to be an effective spokesperson.
● Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written.
● Experience in budget management.
● Database experience (Tessitura preferred)
● Work from the office a minimum of 3 days per week
Full-time employee benefit package includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, & Accident insurance, Paid Time Off, Health Reimbursement Account, Flexible Spending Account, 403(b) Retirement Plan, Half-Day Summer Fridays, and more!
Playwrights Horizons is committed to building a more just future for everyone -- particularly those from historically oppressed communities, by employing a broad spectrum of voices that will enrich the quality and vitality of our work. Playwrights Horizons is an equal opportunity employer that has a strong institutional commitment to uprooting all systems of oppression by demonstrative equitable and inclusive practices.
The organization is interested in receiving applications from people of all races, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, classes, religions, and people with disabilities.
The facilities at Playwrights Horizons are fully accessible and ADA compliant.
Please email cover letter and resume as pdf to Jobs@phnyc.org with the job title in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Vaccination required for hire.